Friday, February 26, 2010

Gluttony : The Third Deadly Sin


I ask you ... how do you look at a menu such as the one from Bungalow 44 in Mill Valley, CA and not want to eat everything in sight?! I guess the answer is, "don't look".

But, looking - and drooling - is exactly what I found myself doing last night as I met a friend for dinner.

For starters, we'll have the homemade burrata mozzarella paired with 3 kinds of salami on rustic bread (a new addition to the menu). Then for dinner, I will start with the Butter Lettuce Salad (Jicama, Apple, Napa Cabbage, Pecan, Creamy BBQ Dressing) followed by the Filet Mignon (Wild Mushroom and Potato Gratin, Baby Green Beans) - but instead of the green beans, can I get a side of Mushroom, Bacon Mac ‘n’ Cheese? Oh, and we'll split a side order of the Cayenne Spiced Onion Rings as well. Why not, let's splurge! Total gluttony! For dessert? Oof, I am so full. Why not ... how about the Bungalow Beignets w/ Espresso Crème Anglaise.

Aaaanddd ... roll me home.

Of course I didn't eat that. But is that what I wanted to order? Yes. Have I been known to order like that before? Definitely.

But, it was all a choice. I knew I was going out, so I checked the menu online prior so I wouldn't have as much temptation when I actually sat down. Sure, my friend's dinner looked (and tasted - yes, I had a very small bite of the spare ribs) richer and more glorious than mine, but at the end of the night, I was happy with the way I felt making smarter ordering decisions.

So, what did I have?
Starter: We split the crabcakes (watercress cream sauce on the side)
Salad: We split the Roasted Beets and Arugula w/ Bacon, Avocado, Skyhill Farms Goat Cheese - hold the bacon
Entree: Fish special of grilled Sea Bass, grilled asparagus, and baby potatoes - light oil, no butter with the roasted red pepper vinaigrette on the side

I still don't know how many points everything was, but I estimated high and for me it just means I will need to stay on a tighter track for the rest of the week.

Truth be told, that burratta salami dish made an appearance in my dreams last night though.

2 comments:

  1. Nice work JWha! I'm so proud. It's like watching a first born child sing the lead in the kindergarten recital. Warm fuzzies inside :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. uummmmm...i had to peruse the menu after reading this...YUM!
    also proud of you!

    ReplyDelete